Learning Lessons with Mrs. Labrasciano Home Shop Instagram Pinterest Email Image Map

Monday Made It - Character Education Bracelets

Earlier this summer I saw some bloggers communicating about this book titled, "What's Under Your Cape?"by Barbara Gruener. It caught my attention because it was a character education book that was written by a real life educator that really got kids the way that you and I do.  When I saw that the book was inexpensive and short I was sold.  The book uses the acronym SUPERHEROES to detail eleven essential character traits for people to work successfully together.  I can't give everything away here because I will be posting in a book study in just a couple of days. (Be sure to come back 7/22!) While I was coming up with lesson plans to accompany the book I decided that I needed something that the kids could take with them that would help them to remember what it takes to be one of the SUPERHEROES.
Character Education Bracelets
Then it hit me that we should make beaded bracelets.  We use beaded bracelets a lot in class.  It helps the kids to touch the bead while they say the word when they want to remember something.  That tactile experience is great for some students.  For this bracelet we used eleven beads and stretchy bead cord.  You can have the kids make the bracelet and recall your acronym while touching each bead.  Hopefully they can tell you the meaning behind the word when they touch the bead too.  These bracelets could work with any character traits.  If you use something else, be sure to tell me!
Beaded Bracelets for recalling acronyms

10 comments:

  1. I'm teaching only Character Ed this year, and I MUST remember to do this. Adorable and you're right, the beads do work. I used beads this past year to help students remember the different days of Kwanzaa during holidays around the world. They loved it...but there may have been beads hidden on my floor for months after! lol

    Meredith
    Creativity to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the beads Meredith! The kids love learning this way and it's not as bad as glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Amy, and thank you for the sweet shout of for my book and the beautiful way that you've shared to move an intangible concept like character traits to a concrete keepsake. WoW ... I am inspired by and grateful for creative minds like yours.

    I can't wait for your review tomorrow.

    Cape UP,

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Superhero theme in my classroom, so I have to check out this book! I can't wait to read it.
    The Traveling Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a great read. She really gets kids and teachers. The best part for me was that I could use the information in my home with my kids as well. If you stop back by tomorrow, I will have more information for you. If you click on the pictures, you go straight to the author's blog.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for stopping by Barbara!!! I have been waiting for a great character education book to come along and sure enough I found it in your book. My teaching partner and I have already brainstormed the lessons. I can't wait to order the picture books that you suggested. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with me.
    Take care, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this idea. I will definitely have to check out this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not telling you what's under my cape. LOL! I'm kidding...I LOVE this idea!! I love that the kids will have something to touch and remember!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You crack me up Alison! Get your mind right and on character education!!!!!

      Delete