Spring


Hi everyone! Are you happy that it's finally spring? I know my family sure is.  Before we get started with today's post , I wanted to wish Inspired Owl's Corner a very happy birthday!

                       

With spring comes testing season for my students! BOO HISS, I know it's awful.  However, it doesn't have to be that bad.  Our students and children love testing week.  Let me share a story from my family with you.  On Monday morning my youngest woke up with some serious pep in her step.  She was beyond "Christmas morning" excited.  When I asked her what was going on, she said it was testing week and she was super excited.  You heard me right, she loves testing! When I asked her why she loved testing, she said, "Mommy, you write me super sweet notes every morning and give me a treat.  Daddy cooks me a yummy breakfast.  My teacher is super sweet to me and after the test, she gives us treats and lets us have fun. What's not to love?" She has a point doesn't she. When I got to school my students were super happy too.  Today I will share how I encourage my students to do their best and what makes them love testing.

Just like everyone else, we spend the weeks up to the test preparing our students to perform well.  How we do it, may or may not look a little different. Generally we teach a mini lesson to the students and  allow them to work through centers, games or task cards, something hands-on, engaging and fun.  Afterwards we give a quick post assessment.  The assessment has to be graded that day almost immediately.  With this assessment, we are able to see who grasped the content and who did not.  If only a few students didn't grasp the content, those students will be pulled as a skill group during guided reading the next day.  Sometimes we find that most of the class didn't grasp it. When this happens I reteach it with a lesson that targets the weakness that we saw in the mini assessment.  No matter what, if students didn't get it, a new lesson and materials have to be created that day so that they are ready for the next day.  You may be asking yourself what this has to do with making testing fun. Well-prepared students are less likely to be anxious when they see the content on the test.

On testing morning, we are super sweet with each student.  We make an extra effort to say good morning and see how they are doing. This helps to assess whether they should take the test or not that morning.  If the students are sick or not doing well, we will determine if they should be taking the test at all that day.  We also ask each student if they ate enough at home.  If they haven't they are sent to the cafeteria for breakfast.  Now we know that each student is prepared, not sick and well fed.  What better way than to start a test this way.  Most humans feel very special when someone else takes the time to see how they are doing and make sure their needs are met.


Testing Freebie Signs

With all of the attention to lesson planning and materials, it is impossible for us to make cute testing treats with individual toppers.  So this is when we came up with a testing treat sign to put up at the classroom door.  The students have a great time figuring out what their treat after testing will be and it makes their morning fun.  You can get these signs for free in my store.  Just click on the picture below.
Testing Freebie Signs

After testing, the students, teachers and administrators are exhausted.  They each gave that test everything they have. This is the perfect opportunity to have some fun!!!! We like to craft, paint and sing every opportunity we have.  This week we made Go Noodle Drawings, Bunny Paintings and got a head start on our Mother's Day projects.  You can find a link to the directions for each one by clicking on the pictures.

Free Directed Drawing with Easy Teaching Tools

Free Directed Drawing With Art With Jenny K


Flowers will double for a Mother's Day Present - From Art With Jenny K Mother's Day Pack



a Rafflecopter giveaway

6 comments:

  1. We had our testing several weeks ago and its such a stressful week for the teachers and students. I try to have little treats but I need to step up my game and your testing signs will be great. Thanks! I love the Mother's Day flowers too!!!

    The Busy Busy Hive

    ReplyDelete
  2. My class is going to be so excited when I break out the Go Noodle directed drawing next week. I might even use it as an incentive to get some super-high-quality-work. :)
    Deb
    Not very fancy in 1st

    ReplyDelete
  3. The signs for after-testing treats are just genius! I could even use the idea with a regular assignment that is extra-tough as we occasionally have treats to celebrate. Wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Amy! I am in denial about how old I am! I am dreading The Test so much! The kids are going to love the testing incentives- it really does make a difference! Love the flowers too! Thank you so much for your help in all of this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the great ideas! My kids start testing tomorrow, and I was trying to figure out what to do to help them. Now I have some ideas! Perfect timing. :)
    Crystal
    www.funandlearningatbba.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete